Please read my article giving an idea as to how we should contract with different logistic vendors and through which airline we should travel. Instead vendors should decide (keeping their interest in mind) for our good or bad, we ourselves must work for our safety and security. Please spare around 5-6 minutes to go-through this article.
Which “Bus” Which “Rent A Car” and which “Airline” is for us
Take Decision Logically
1. Safer Travel Modes
- Road or Railway or Air
Despite fears of plane crashes due to the highly publicized nature of each occurrence, air travel remains a far safer means of travel than both road and rail.
- Own Car or Public Transport
Many experts say that public transport is safer than own transport due to following reasons.
- Own Transport can get out of order at any place. You never know you are standing in an inhospitable and insecure area that too when you are with family.
- If own car tyre gets punctured in a relatively insecure area, you are required to replace hence spending more time in the hazardous area alone or with family whereas when you are in public transport, number of other people are accompanying you, so you are not all alone an relatively more secured.
- Target killing is little difficult.
- Miscreants avoid more witnesses hence safety increased in case of public transport.
- Many miscreants know the owner of the public transport and likely repercussions if attacked on his transport, so they avoid any attack.
- Own car if snatched, you are nowhere but there is less chance of a bus to be snatched.
- Own car can be depicted and earmarked very easily, in Public transport you get mixed up and mingle up.
- Vendors – Assessments/ Security Clearances
“Without disciple none of the organization can grow”. It is the faith of many successful business eye cons including the leaders of development organizations. Discipline stands paramount for each and every activity irrespective smaller or bigger. Security Manager must exercise their control over all official moves of their colleagues including travel of the colleagues through public transport. Following must be ensured when allowing colleagues to travel officially through bus/ coach etc.
- Guide the colleagues to travel through a proper company registered private transport company.
- Owners/Security Managers may devise a template for the assessment & carry out the security clearance of the transport company.
- Colleagues may be guided to use only that transport which has been cleared by your organization.
- Selection & Security Clearance:
- The template for clearing for security and selection, may include following.
- Total Transport in the transport company.
- Routes (Safe or not).
- Number of accidents in a year.
- Conducting by the transport staff.
- Cleanliness of the bus.
- Qualification and the experience of drivers, over speeding?
- Time A stop to B stop and to C. ( Move punctuality)
- Over rush/ loading.
- Managing System.
- Owner? Reputation.
- Halts in routes (Sensitive areas or safe and how many).
- Times duration of the halt
- Quality of food of the hotels (halt site hotels). Transport staff pays for the food they take?
- Number of such other things relating to security.
- Rent A Car
Numbers of organizations contract to vendors to get support logistically. The contracted companies support the organizations by provision of cars on rent. The Rent A Car companies do provide the driver as well. Before allowing Admin to contract for the vehicles to be used for office and field, following may be ensured.
- Assessment: Proper assessment of the Rent A Car Company which may include;
- How many cars/cabs/land cruisers etc. how many brand new vehicles? (Reliability factor)
- Accident records (nature & gravity).
- NTN (Filler/ non filler).
- General reputation
- Office at safe site or not.
- Drivers? Professional?
- Tracking management systems
- Vendor’s associations (most important & crucial part of the assessment).
- Financial disciplines (Known buying-off nature)
- Management systems ( records)
- Responsiveness and the capability as per requirement
- Driver’s security clearance. (Is vendor takes any hoot to this or not).
Professionals / security Managers must have some good logic for the choice of a specific airline. The same may be assessed not relating to the comforts and services like food, hosting standards. The choice may be made keeping in view the safety standards like plane is well maintained, crew has a proper rest. Usually the airline has a direct flight or mostly has connected flights. Connected flights may be avoided.
- Assessment: Correct assessment may be carried out. The same can also be done through third party. All big organizations have their Safety & Security Managers; they can also do the assessment for the 1st and 2nd choice of the airline for their employees. The same may not be left on the contracted Travel Agency to decide for us or the same responsibility may not be out on the organization’s employees to perform this duty for themselves. The assessment can be done by the security managers statistically and/or through the quick data from the well traveled staff and friends on various airlines. For deliberate assessment the sphere / loop of this information can be extended to other organizations to get maximum data/ information. The answer to following questions may be known to the Safety & Security Manager before completing the assessment to give decision for the 1st choice of the airlines and subsequently. Organizations or the departments where proper Security mechanism does not exists, the HR/Admin can also endeavor to know the same before going for the agreement to a Travel Agency.
- Airport Security?
- Cleanliness standards both Airport and the plane?
- Access Control implements and the measures adopted at airport i.e. the security standards are entirely different at Gwadar, DI Khan Airport as compare to Islamabad, Karachi or Lahore?
- Mobile Security at airport?
- Airport Security Standards?
- Ratio and the gravity (Size) of Incidents at Airport relating to terrorism. If any major incident happened, how later security mechanism was strengthened to ensure ultimate security.
- Date of establishment of the airline?
- Type of planes being used by the company, the old version or the new technology, further if old, those are well maintained or not?
- Safety Inspection information if available.
- Enrollment Standards and other trainings?
- Night Flying?
- Near border area?
- Big and very high mountains particularly near landing sites. Similarly is heavy wind is there as a regular feature at the airport site.
- Is airport in sensitive area if even in case connected flight?
- Safety briefings to the passengers by the plane staff on each flight?
- Luggage handling safe?
- Passengers are conducted throughout starting from A-Z.
- How many time airlines have changed the direct route to connected route in a month/quarter/year? How many a times all the effected passengers were timely (a day prior at least) informed.
- Route from Airport to Required road Site: It is also imperative to analyze the location or the ultimate destination. For example you are landing Lahore and further have to move to Sialkot, the rod gurney fro Lahore to Sialkot is safe or not. Likewise if your employees have to travel to from Karachi to Bhakkar, which airline would best suit, the one landing at DI Khan, Multan or Landing Lahore or Islamabad and if further road move is involving dark hours (night traveling). Would like to make the night stay of your traveler at some transit.
- Security Managers may visit the airlines and the airports for physical ground checks if management and the budget permits to fulfill the true security requirements.
Major Imtiaz Ahmad Malik, Tamgha i Basalat Retired