BY: Flying Fish
Qualification: Level 3 C&G MSO 8269, STCW 95 Basic Safety Training, Short Range Radio (GMDSS/DSC)
Before June 2013 all personnel wishing to work as security operatives were required to complete the MCAâ��s Ship Security Officers course (SSO). Since June 2013 the City and Guilds Maritime Security Operative (MSO) qualification is the only qualification that meets the new IOS28007 standard accepted by the Maritime Security industry.
The two week STCW'95 Maritime Security Operative course is comprised of a week's STCW95 Basic Safety Training, a short range radio course (GMDSS) and four MSO units.
STCW 95 Basic Safety Training:
- Personal Survival Training: Survival suits, hypothermia, life rafts, basic actions in emergency, etc.
- Elementary First Aid: Basic, immediate, and emergency response to the most common shipboard injury emergencies, including CPR.
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting:- Types and classes of fires, prevention, hazard awareness, methods of fire extinguishment, structure of incident response team, appropriate equipment, personal safety, team support, and live exercises.
- Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities (PSSR) - Types of shipboard emergencies, alarms and signals, initial actions, personal/protective safety equipment, effects of pollution, pollution prevention, safe working practices, enclosed spaces, accident prevention, sexual harassment, individual rights, drug and alcohol awareness, and prevention of abuse.
The four MSO units consist of :
1) Understanding the maritime security industry
2) Maritime security pre-deployment planning and procedures
3) Maritime Security operating procedures
4) Incident management and post operational procedures
You will leave the course with a good understanding of safety and emergency procedures. You will be familiar with rescue and evacuation. You will have practised crisis scenarios, handled fire fighting equipment and launched a life raft. You will have a thorough understanding of how to perform as a professional mariner with security duties.
If you already have STCW'95 Basic Safety Training, you can skip straight to the MSO element. The five day course is Â£740.
Training with Flying Fish is eligible for UK Armed Forces resettlement funding for service leavers.
This course is approved for Enhanced Learning Credits. Our ELC Learning Provider number is 1630.
Location: South EastBook this Course